Sunday, April 3, 2011

Shots, fingerprints, and good news!

We had our first round of shots last Wednesday at the U of L Travel Clinic.  If anyone is in the Louisville area I highly recommend it.  The staff is very informative and helpful.  We went in to our appointment knowing we would have to get a yellow fever vaccine, but came out with 5 shots and pills to take!  Ouch!  Fortunately we have had no side effects, which we were very surprised.  About 30% of people have some reaction to the yellow fever vaccine.  Our arms are a little sore, and I am sporting a few bruises, but otherwise no problems.

We also had our biometric (fingerprinting) appointment with Immigration on Wednesday.  John was scheduled on Wed. at 3pm and I was scheduled on Thurs. at 8am.  We were frustrated because we had to travel an hour each way to get to Louisville and did not want to make two trips.  We asked our Bible study group and friends to pray that John and I could have our fingerprinting done at the same time with me as a walk-in.  We knew that we could reschedule, but we did not know how long of a delay this would cause.  When we showed up for the appointment about 20 minutes early, there were no other people there.  The staff said it would be no problem to fingerprint me right then.  He was so friendly and helpful!  It is one of the best government experiences I have ever had.  We walked out at 3:05pm! Praise God!  We were able to run more errands and still be on time for church.  Oh, and here is a little tip for you,  if you have a Meijer in you area, they will fill a Cipro prescription at no cost!  Every little savings helps!

We also are celebrating with friends that just accepted a referral of their daughter!  Little Bella is 7 and is from India.  Her parents have waited long and prayed diligently for their little girl.  She should be home in the next 3-5 months.  I was able to attend a fundraiser to help Brittnie and Jeff this weekend.  We learned how to paint a picture.  It was a lot of fun!   Whenever I look at my painting I will always be reminded of Bella's sweet face!

Also, other friends of ours Ken and Sarah have traveled to the Ukraine, met their son, and been approved by the judge!  Luke will be coming home with them in the next couple of weeks.  He is 4 years old and has a contagious smile.

It has been a wonderful week full of good news and God's blessings.  Many prayers have been answered and many more continue to be lifted up.

1 comment:

  1. Karen,
    I noticed that you must be in KY. My husband and I are adopting from DRC and are in a very similar stage as you. We are also in KY. I'll love to be in contact. My email is sarahanddewayne@yahoo.com.
    Thanks,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete